Friday, September 26, 2014

Post 3- Community Partners


By having the community partners come to our class and spend time talking to us about what they do, I learned a lot about these new places to volunteer at. I had previous knowledge about the Everyday Warming Shelter and the Oshkosh Food Pantry, so I was very interested to learn about BEAMING. Before knowing about BEAMING, I knew about pet therapy, but my extent of knowledge was therapy with dogs and cats. I would never have guessed that riding a horse could help those with disabilities. One story that stuck out to me was when she talked about a child arriving that was severally tense when he arrived. So stiff that he remained in the same position that he had in his wheel chair. However, after he road the horse his body was like Jell-O, from that warmth and connectedness to the horse. It was a very empowering thought of how much these horses do for the people who engage with them. I could tell that the women who came to talk to us really liked their job for those kinds of memories. I also learned how much time goes into maintaining BEAMING and having it be successful. They need volunteers for a vast variety of tasks. They need people who can work with the children who have disabilities so that the environment is safe and to ensure them the best experience. They need people who are able to take care of the horses so that they can perform to the best of their ability, as well as those to work with the horse as ride. I am really happy that I leaned about BEAMING because I think it is a great way to volunteer and help many people. Not only does volunteering mean a lot to the workers, but also to those who come to use it and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment